Local art to be auctioned Saturday
Two works of local art will go on the auction block Saturday, Aug. 3, at The Rug Gallery, 1509 E. Bert Kouns Industrial Loop.
An auction planned for Saturday, Aug. 3, at The Rug Gallery, 1509 E. Bert Kouns Industrial Loop in Shreveport, will feature more than just leftover rugs, carpets and display racks. Two magnificent works of art with local ties will also be sold to the highest bidder.
One is a 5-foot-by-12-foot painting by renowned Shreveport artist Louis G. Sicard Sr. The colorful painting depicts several shrimp boats near the shore.
Sicard’s signature on the painting is followed by the letters “F.R.S.A.,” which signifies him as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a British multi-disciplinary institution based in London.
Some notable members of the FRSA include Charles Dickens, Benjamin Franklin, Karl Marx and Stephen Hawking.
Sicard was born in New Orleans on Aug. 7, 1897. One of 11 children, he was the son of Jean Charles Sicard, an architect and builder in New Orleans.
Sicard studied at Tulane University under Elsworth Woodward, Charles Wellington Boyle, Claude Jackson and Luis Granier.
He moved to Shreveport in 1933, where he lived until his death at age 92 of Jan. 8, 1990. Sicard painted professionally for 75 years.
The other work of art — a glass etching of the god Apollo — once graced the lobby of the former Don’s Seafood and Steakhouse at the corner of Kings Highway and Highland Avenue.
The original owner, Charles Rinaudo, commissioned PPG Industries to create and furnish the entire unit, complete with all engineering and lighting as well as the framing and design.
Elmer E. Taflinger of Indianapolis, Ind., prepared the full-sized artist’s sketch for sculptor Ivan Pouge, also of Indianapolis.
Pouge spent over 200 man hours sandblasting the figures. The etching was originally installed in the famous Mirror Steakhouse at 981 Louisiana in July 1943. When the right of way for Interstate 20 was obtained, the piece was moved to its present location, the former Don’s Seafood and Steakhouse.
The site of Don’s originally served as the Rex Theatre from 1951 to 1960. Don’s was opened in 1965 and remained in business for over 43 years as a well-known premier seafood restaurant in Shreveport.