Downtown building evacuated for fire
Workers in the Capital One Bank building in the 400 block of Edwards Street in downtown Shreveport were evacuated for about an hour during the noon hour Wednesday after a fire broke out in an upper floor.
Assistant Chief J.T. Carpenter said that the Shreveport Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at 12:35 p.m., with the first unit arriving just two minutes later.
“There was a fire in a storage room or air conditioning unit at the top of the building. The sprinkler system did what it was designed to do. It activated and extinguished the fire,” he said.
“From what I have gathered, it sounds like it may have originated in an electrical panel.”
Carpenter said there were no injuries as a result of the fire, which was brought under control at about 1:05 p.m.
Workers were allowed to return to their offices at about 1:25 p.m.
Liz Swaine, executive director of the Downtown Development Authority, said, “We’re being told it smells a little smoky and the elevators and escalators are off, but they’re letting us back in, so it must be all clear.”